Dr Kyriakoula Georgiou acquired a Ph.D. degree in Educational Technology, from the Department of Education, University of Cyprus specialized in Educational Robotics. She holds a Master’s degree in Computational Mathematics and Informatics in Education from the University of Patras, Greece and a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Crete, Greece.
She is assigned by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport and Youth of Cyprus working as a mathematics teacher at public secondary general education schools.
Her work experience also, includes Teaching Assistant at University of Cyprus as well as Special Scientist at the University of Cyprus, where she helped in teaching and taught respectively, various courses such as Educational Technology, Computer-Aided Learning in Kindergarten, Educational Robotics and Web 2.0 Tools and Learning. Additionally, she has worked as a Special Scientist at the Open University of Cyprus and was involved in the following research projects:
· Empowering the School IT infrastructures for the implementation of Sustainable Instructional Patterns
· Open Discovery Space: A socially powered and multilingual open learning infrastructure to boost the adoption of eLearning resources.
Her research interests lie in the fields of Educational Robotics, Learning Technologies and Instructional Design Models and Theories with the use of ICT. In addition, her scientific interest includes the advancement of computational thinking in various educational settings and the development of tools for assessing the development of computational thinking.
For her research contribution and academic performance, she has received several scholarships, and awards. Some highlights of her research career include:
1. Her participation in the American Educational Research Association (AERA) conference where she has received the Graduate Travel Award, which is awarded to authors on an accepted paper of the AERA conference that has been judged excellent by the reviewers.
2. Full CTE2020 scholarship to attend and present at the CTE2020 conference.
3. Full scholarship from the Institute of International Education, USA for her post- graduate studies.
4. Full scholarship from the Institute of International Education, USA for her graduate studies.
She is also serving as reviewer and member of the AERA international conference. Additionally, she has given numerous talks at schools. In her free time, she creates handmade fused glass artifacts and enjoys the reading of books from the field of cognitive psychology and narrating magical stories to her two daughters.